Getting Set Up
Creating a Lookalike Audience with TikTok Ads Manager
- Go to the "Audiences" section under Assets.
- Click "Create Audience" and select "Create a Lookalike Audience".
- Click on "Audience Source" and a drop down menu will appear. You can then select a previous uploaded Custom Audience.
- If you have not previously uploaded your customer list as a Custom Audience, you may click on the "Create a Custom Audience" option. Only after creating your Custom Audience, can you create a Lookalike Audience.
- Under "Contain Source", select either "delete" or "contain".
- "Delete" source means your Lookalike Audience will not include the Custom Audience you are basing it off of. Your ads will be shown only to your Lookalike Audience and not to your Custom Audience.
- "Contain" source means your Lookalike Audience will include the Custom Audience you are basing it off of. Your ads will be shown both to your Lookalike Audience and your Custom Audience.
- Select one of the "System" options, either "All", "Android", or "IOS".
- Note: We recommend creating different Lookalike Audiences for each operating system if you are trying to drive app installs. For example, if you are trying to get people to download your IOS app, select "IOS" when creating your Lookalike Audience. For website conversions that do not need to specify an operating system, select "All".
- Select "Placement" (currently supports: TikTok, TopBuzz & BuzzVideo).
- Note: We recommend selecting the same placement as the Custom Audience source you used for creating a Lookalike Audience. For example, if you created the Custom Audience for ads you placed on TikTok, then it’s recommended to select TikTok as the "Placement" when creating your Lookalike Audience as well.
7. Select the "Location" where you'd like to find a similar group of people.
- Note: We recommend selecting the same location as the Custom Audience source you used for creating a Lookalike Audience.
8. Under "Audience Size", select either "Specific", "Balance" or "Broad".
- Note: The more specific an audience size is, the more similar it is to your Custom Audience source.
9. "Name" your audience and click "Confirm" to create your Lookalike Audience.
- It takes about 40-60 minutes for the "Lookalike Audience" to be created. Prior to creation is will show as "unavailable".
- The Lookalike Audience will be auto-refreshed every 7 days once it's applied to a running ad group.
- Go to the "Audiences" section under Library to apply Manual Refresh if necessary.
- You can create up to 400 "Lookalike Audience" groups from the same Custom Audience source.
- If the source Audience is deleted, the Lookalike Audience created from the deleted source Audience cannot be refreshed.
- If the system notices that your Lookalike Audience is "Refresh Unavailable", we recommend recreating your Lookalike Audience
- For more information, see Manage Lookalike Audience